Sunday 26 April 2015

Ur Lens for Dilli

PEEP INTO THE PAST:

1. Nehru Museum

Gandhi Exhibition @NEHRU PLANETARIUM
I initially went to Nehru planetarium. And realized there is another facet to it: the library and the Nehru Museum. Nehru's house, and every artifact possesses his memories.

 Read the letters of the colonial times by Motilal Nehru, Jawaharlal Nehru, and also Gandhi and Gokhale at the Gandhi Exhibition on the 1st Floor.










2. Lal Bahadur Shastri Memorial, Janpath

This one was my personal favorite. It got me goosebumps when I saw the small steel glass Shastriji's wife used to drink milk from. As she'd promised Shastriji of taking care of herself, when he was in jail and the family was going through crisis.

3. Indira Gandhi Memorial

I was taken aback when I saw the torn bloodshed saree of her and the pavement where she was shot. It is still so intact as if a film running in my sub-conscious mind. Being a viewer, I desperately wanted the climax to be changed!

4. Humayun Tomb


When mind needs peace to 'think creative', such monuments definitely work. While walking around it made me think: if I had born hundred years ago as a human, I perhaps was part of this architecture, the lifestyle!


The must have Coconut Juice at HUMAYUN TOMB
HUMAYUN TOMB

5. India Gate

Walking close to the Amar Jyoti and the structure where all the martyrs names are inscribed, shakes the patriotic conscience.

6. Delite, Daryaganj

DELITE Cinema Photo Gallery, Daryaganj

 Delite is one of the oldest movie theater. Unlike other movie theaters, it still has the upper and lower stall and the magnificent balcony. Being made in the old times, the infrastructure is so strong, that the balcony that can accommodate about 300 people is only resting upon two side support and no middle pillars. Things have much changed though, but thanks to the gentle food vendor, I could still trace the marks of history: The marble-stone at the entrance hasn't changed yet ever since the theater was built. The photo gallery at the first floor takes back in the history with pictures of the late founder with the first President and PM as well as the classic actors who have visited the theater. The vintage chandeliers soothes the nostalgia.

 Watching a movie with the crowd that does all the hooting and all was a helluva experience. It made me realize that we are not alone watching the movie: such an ultimate fun that I might prefer it again over a multiplex, but for decent movies only. Since the tickets cost as cheap as Rs. 80, one can't watch all sort of movies here, because of the crowd that comes in. I was in fact warned by many friends to not to go there, but I am glad I took the chance; as a precaution, with a male pal though.

 The best time to watch a movie is the 6.30 pm show, neither too early nor too late, plus when you come out at around 9-ish, the unusual yet busy old Delhi street is amazing to stare at. I would recommend everyone to experience it once, since we never know when would this era vanish too with the advancing modernization.

7. Jantar Mantar

 Like me if anyone else is curious to know how our forefathers managed without a clock, this place can be of great help.



























No comments:

Post a Comment